25 Jul Amigurumi Unicorn Hiccups
I started my jumbo plush unicorn last week. I wrote the pattern as I went a long, thinking the crochet God’s would come together, pave the way for my success and bam I’d produce the cutest unicorn ever. Well, it hasn’t really worked out that way, so here’s how I’m solving the issues… without help from the Crochet Gods.
The unicorn is cute, no doubt, but there’s been a few hiccups along the way.
1. Legs were too long, she almost looked like one of those mechanical creatures from star wars.
This was an easy fix, I simply frogged a few rows and they were perfect. Be sure to use a stitch marker when frogging out rows, it’s easy to get lost or lose count.
2. Yarn puckering. Maybe this is one of the reasons I haven’t seen a lot of chunky yarn amigurumi, when working in the round I found the first 4 rounds would pucker.
The fix: manipulate and tug the yarn as you go. Loosen your tension a bit. I consider blocking it, which would probably help, instead I did extra stuffing to smooth out the puckering.
3. The head is too big and heavy
This part was pretty tricky. I’d start by putting more stuffing in the body, especially where the body meets the head. I kept the body with open stitches because I originally planned on attaching with the open stitches from the head. Instead I used the open stitches in the head to attach the nose. So, I positioned the head where I wanted it and attached. The head was too droopy, and was starting to look more like Eeyore, than a happy unicorn. What I did was anchored the head. After sewing it on I grabbed the starting point of the head and pulled it back and secured with more yarn. I hope the pictures help explain.
4. The horn was too long
I wanted an over the top, magical horn but the one I originallyadd was Waaaay to long. Unlike the legs, I couldn’t just frog a few rounds. So I started with a chain of 18, instead of 22. It turned out perfect.
I’m still working on the facial features, and hair. If I should run into any more hiccups I’ll update this post.